FirstCare STAR Program
Welcome to FirstCare STAR
Our goal is to give you quality care and a great network of doctors, specialists, and hospitals. STAR members receive Medicaid health care benefits, including Texas Health Steps medical and dental checkups.
If you are not a member and you have questions about Medicaid, visit www.yourtexasbenefits.com to learn more.
What is STAR?
STAR is a Medicaid program for low-income families, children, and pregnant women. When you join STAR, you pick a primary care provider to manage your health care and treatment. You can pick any primary care provider in FirstCare’s STAR network. Your primary care provider can be a family doctor, general practitioner, obstetrician/gynecologist, internist, pediatrician, or a clinic.
Below is a list of some of the health benefits you get with STAR:
- Unlimited prescriptions
- Doctor and clinic visits
- X-rays and lab tests
- Emergency and Hospital care
- Eye exams and glasses
- Dental visits for children age 20 and younger
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Care for mental health, drug, or alcohol problems
- Family Planning counseling and education
- Pregnancy and childbirth care
- Speech therapy
- Occupational therapy
Extra Benefits for Health and Wellness
- One allergy-free pillow cover every 2 years for asthmatic members.
- One air purifier every 2 years for members active in the Asthma Disease Management Program.
- Two extra food counseling visits above the basic benefit for certain members age 20 and younger.
- Pedometer for members in the Diabetes Disease Management Program who have 6 continuous
months of a normal HbA1c.
- Gift card for members age 20 and under who get a timely Texas Health Steps checkup.
- Gift card for members who go to follow-up doctor visit within 7 days of leaving hospital.
- Pedometer for members with obesity diagnosis who participate in weight loss activities for 30 days.
There are extra benefits for pregnant women.Learn More
How do I use my benefits? How do I find a Medicaid doctor?
FirstCare makes things easy. If you need help finding a doctor, setting up a checkup, or have questions about your benefits, please call us toll-free at 1-800-431-7798.
Medicaid can help you get a free ride or give you gas money to get to your children’s checkups. Call toll-free 1-877-633-8747 (1-877-MED-TRIP).
FREE for FirstCare STAR members in the Lubbock area:
- Parking at Covenant Medical Center in Lubbock (east parking garage).
- Childcare at Covenant Child Development Center in Lubbock. Call FirstCare at 1-800-431-7798 to learn more.
- Diaper coupon for those who complete and return a pregnancy health questionnaire within four weeks.
- Diaper bag for mothers of newborn babies who visit with a FirstCare health educator.
- 3 meals a day for one parent of a child in the hospital. Covenant hospitals only.