Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Plans
Welcome to FirstCare CHIP
The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) is a health plan for children 18 years and younger. CHIP is for families when their income is too high for Medicaid but they can't afford other insurance. CHIP covers health services like checkups, lab tests, x-rays, hospital stays, medicines, dental care, and more.
CHIP Perinatal Benefits
CHIP Perinatal benefits are services to the unborn child of a pregnant woman who does not qualify for other Medicaid programs or traditional CHIP. The program will also continue services for some newborn children after delivery. To learn more about the program and other benefits for pregnant women, visit our Healthy Pregnancy page
Is there a cost to join CHIP?
There may be a cost to join FirstCare CHIP. The cost is based on the family income, assets and size. The cost may have an enrollment fee and co-payments. Enrollment fees are $50 or less for each six-month enrollment. Most co-payments for doctor visits and medicines drugs are from $3 to $20.
View CHIP cost-sharing table
There is no cost to join the CHIP Perinatal program and no cost for care.
How does CHIP work?
CHIP Members - When you join CHIP, you will pick a doctor for your children. The doctor you pick will be the primary care physician, also called the PCP. This doctor will help when medical care is needed. You will be sent a CHIP ID card. The doctor (PCP) you choose will be listed on the CHIP ID card. You will need to show the CHIP ID card at each doctor visit.
CHIP Perinatal Members - When the pregnant mother of the unborn child joins the program, she will pick a doctor for care while she is pregnant. Once the baby is born, the mother will pick a doctor to be the baby's primary care provider, also called the PCP. This doctor will help when the baby needs medical care. The mother will be sent a CHIP Perinatal ID card to use before the baby is born. The baby will be sent a CHIP Perinatal ID card once the baby is born. The baby's doctor will be listed on the baby's CHIP Perinatal ID card. Show the doctor the card each visit.
What are the benefits of FirstCare CHIP?
CHIP and CHIP Perinatal Newborn Benefits:
- No limit on RX
- Hospital care as long as medically needed
- Doctor Visits
CHIP Perinatal (Mother) Benefits:
- One visit every four weeks for the first 28 weeks of pregnancy
- One visit every two to three weeks from 28 to 36 weeks of pregnancy
- One visit per week from 36 weeks to delivery. (Limited to 20 prenatal visits)
- 2 postpartum visits
- Pharmacy, limited lab tests, planning services, and education and counseling
- For women that qualify, inpatient services related to labor with delivery
- Preterm labor that does not result in a birth and false labor are not covered benefits
How do I access covered services?
What should I do if I have an emergency?
To access covered services, call FirstCare CHIP or CHIP Perinatal Customer Service at 1-877-639-2447. If you are having an emergency and need immediate medical care, go to the nearest Emergency Room (ER) or call 9-1-1. If you do not have life threatening injuries or symptoms or do not need immediate medical care, call your PCP first. Your doctor can help you and give you advice.
How do I replace my ID card if it is lost or stolen?
If you need to replace your ID cards, call FirstCare Customer Service tollfree at 1-877-639-2447 and we can assist you.
FirstCare members have access to our online Member Portal. Here, you can look up your claims, view your benefits and find important plan documents.To log in/register, click here.
You get free "extra" benefits in the Lubbock area
- 3 Free meals a day for one parent of a child in the hospital (Covenant hospitals only).
- A 10% discount at Covenant cafeterias in Lubbock, Plainview and Levelland. Must show your FirstCare CHIP ID Card.
- Free Daycare at Covenant Child Care Center (with doctor visits only)
- Free inpatient parking (Covenant Hospital and Covenant Lakeside)
- Free out-patient parking (Special parking lot on southeast corner of Covenant Hospital)
- Gifts for completing prenatal classes
Keep your benefits!
CHIP enrollment will need to be renewed every 12 months. If you have questions, call FirstCare at 1-866-787-0663.